If you’d rather follow some old-fashioned written instructions:

Start at Three Crowns Inn (demolished 1869 replaced with the National Provincial Bank) on the corner of Granby Street and Horsefair Street

Along Gallowtree Gate – on the left hand side is the site of the old City Walls

At the plaza (now the site of the Clock Tower) – Humberstone Gate on the right

Along Belgrave Gate to the Canal Basin approx. 1 mile N on Burleys Way

Wharf on the canal, between Memory Lane and Painter Street

View across Abbey Meadows

Along Archdeacon Lane (partly under the inner Ring Road), past the Baptist Chapel to St Margaret’s Church

Westwards is Sanvey Gate – ‘Sancta Via’

Along Church Gate, past Butt Close

Past Presbyterian ‘Great Meeting House’ (1708) – the Unitarian Chapel on East Bond Street

Note: Romish Church opposite on Causeway Lane (off East Bond Street)

Opposite the Great Meeting House is an Independent chapel, adjacent to an Episcopalian Chapel (1803) – St Peter’s Land off E Bond Street

Pass along Swine Market (formerly Parchment Lane – now East Bond Street?) – through the end of High Cross Shopping Centre and on to East Gates

Along High Street

High Cross Street – County Jail (1791)

Free School Lane

Wigston’s Hospital

Former site of Blue Boar Inn (presumably all under the Shires Shopping Centre)

Church of All Saints

Site of North Gate – passage to a Quaker Meeting House

North Gate Street

Bridge over the canal (1796) site of a Saxon mint

Road to the left is Wood Gate, to the right Abbey Gate

View north to Belgrave and Beaumont Leys woods

along the river towards Bow Bridge – Black Friars / New Soar (there’s no direct access along the river; you can either go round to the river via Woodgate Park or along the canal towpath from Frog Island / Pringle Street / Swan Street / Soar Lane through to West Bridge)

Braunstone Gate; old Soar; West Bridge (over the Old Soar), crossing the New Soar (now canalised and running N to S)

Apple Gate (now under St Nicholas Circle) / St Nicolas; Roman remains of Jewry Wall.

St Nicholas Church – Saxon tower

Area to the east of the Church is ‘Holy Bones’ – named for the large number of ox bones, presumed to be ritual sacrifices

Harvey Lane – Calvanistic Baptists Chapel (now the underpass exit?)

Back to High Cross

South along High Cross Street (High Cross Street / Applegate / Southgates – note that Castle Street is across on the west side of Vaughan Way)

Castle Street – a narrow alley – leading to St Mary’s Church

Castle Yard and Castle – Castle View

Exit via Prince Rupert’s Gateway

Newark – Newark Houses


Mill Stone Lane – Methodist Chapel (long gone)

Along South Gate / Horsepool Street / Oxford Street

Infirmary – Infirmary Square

(a quarter of a mile South is Raw Dikes, but there’s not much to see)

‘From the infirmary the traveller can ascend New Walk’ (1785)

Back to the toll gate (now Victoria Park Gates) along London Road, Granby Street, Horsefair Street

Past the Hotel (demolished 1859) replaced with the County Rooms – now the City Rooms Hotel

Friar Lane; Charity School (1791)

along New Street to St Martins (Leicester Cathedral)

W side of Churchyard – Wigston’s Hospital – Wyggeston’s House; N end – Town Library

Guild Hall

Walk to the Market Place via St Martins and Hotel Street

Exchange (demolished 1854) replaced with the Corn Exchange building

The Conduit – and octagonal reservoir  – also long gone – marks the end of the walk; dated April 1804.